Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Keep Pregnancy Secret Till Second Trimester: Fail!

Project Top Secret
One of the things hubs and I talked about the night we found out I was pregnant, was to keep this news under wraps until baby had made the 'Three Month Milestone'.

Many miscarriages happen in the first three months, so it made sense to hold off announcing the happy news prematurely.

Project Top Secret: FAIL

Erm. Yeah.

Project Top Secret lasted all of 10 hours.

For this failure, I blame a few things:

  1. My fears and needing to talk to a doctor about them.
  2. The Universe
  3. I am not very good at keeping secrets... Ok, I suck at keeping secrets

Factor #1: My fears
I was worried about the baby being 'broken'. Being 37, odds of bearing a Downs Syndrome babe were higher. Also, my pre-existing condition Henoch Schonlein Purpura (HSP) with kidney involvement put me in the high-risk pregnancy category. My beloved doctor Prof Dr Norella Kong who specializes in taking care of women with lupus and has seen through successful lupus pregnancies, had assured me HSP is not passed down to the baby. Yet, how could I not worry? I wanted to talk with Koo Koo (my Aunt Josephine, a doctor in Australia), but also wanted to keep it secret from the family. Koo Koo is my go-to-person whenever I need a medical physician's objective take on health stuff. I have a distrust for most doctors, but Koo Koo, I can at least listen to.

Factor #2: The Universe
Call it a sixth sense or whatever, but what were the odds of Koo Koo calling right after we found out I was pregnant?

KK: Hi Grace!
Me:  Hi Koo Koo!
KK: So, how's the baby-making coming along?
Me: (stunned) Erm. Ah. Erm. (I did not see that coming!)
KK: ...
Me: Erm. We just found out I'm pregnant, like, last night.
KK: Well done!
Me: Erm. You can't tell anyone.

I was conflicted about keeping the baby news hush hush, but the stars seemed to have conspired against me.

Factor #3
Let's just not go there this time k? :p

Moving On
I swore Koo Koo to doctor patient confidentiality and she promised not to tell anyone. She gave a lot of good advice: take folic acid, avoid raw milk, raw fish, etc. She allayed my fears of Downs, and informed me about genetic testing.

So, we're all good. :)

And, I haven't told anyone else.

Yet. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment