Monday, October 1, 2012

Worry Wart: How I Coped with my Baby Fears

I was (and still am) worried that baby would be 'broken'.

Not just piffling fears of missing digits, or even more serious worries about Downs Syndrome. I worried that baby would inherit my autoimmune illness. I also worried that pregnancy would bring on a relapse of my autoimmune illness and hurt baby.

To help alleviate some of my fears, I had already implemented some major stuff:

Before Project Make Baby: Project Make Abs
In preparation for Project Make Baby, I had worked hard to get my body in the best possible condition I knew how.
  • I weaned off the steroids I'd been put on to suppress my immune system (to control the HSP). I'd been off the steroids for nearly a year.
  • I began exercising to make my body strong. I swam, biked and ran. A LOT. I even did P90X. I did get stronger. I got into the best physical shape of my life. All that exercise banished my steroid-induced osteoporosis too.
I feel less worry about being pregnant because it happened when I was in great shape and solidly in remission.

Crossing Bridges
I'll cross any bridges if and when I get to them. Say if I relapsed and had to get back on the meds. This would be one of the worst case scenarios, I think. And even then, I've been repeatedly assured that the steroids are okay to be taken throughout pregnancy.

If baby comes out broken, I'll deal with it then. No point worrying about stuff I have no control over.

Right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment