Thursday, October 4, 2012

Stay at Home Mommy?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of respect for homemakers / housewives / stay-at-home moms... The thought that I will be joining those ranks has me mix-feeling-ed.

Are You Experienced?
I've been working from home for many years and did well with that. My former employer FRIM graciously accommodated my hypersensitivity syndrome by allowing me to carry out my work responsibilities from my home office. From this I know I'm disciplined enough to set my own hours and get projects done on time.

Working from home saved time (no commute) and money (no need to dress up), and increased my productivity. Being able to set my own hours allowed me to rest whenever I needed to, exercise on my own time, and thus keep in good health. Good health is a big deal to me. 

A Decision I can Live With
I wanted to make a baby. I also wanted to make money. I decided I will try to make a living working from home, as a stay-at-home mom.

I can already hear naysayers' "What a waste of all that education" and other remarks along that line. But you know what - I can live with that. If you haven't lived in my shoes, you may not understand my priorities. :p

To give myself the best chance of a successful pregnancy and mommyhood (without relapsing), I need to keep my stress levels low. I got well and have stayed well by understanding what my body needs, what it can take, and by taking care of myself. I intend to stay well, now even more than ever.

Some Plans
Fortunately, hubs makes enough to support us so that we can get by without me working. With hubs' blessing, I've been pursuing several stay-at-home ventures: blogging, cooking, cooking classes, sports massages and so forth. These are all things that I can do from home, at my own schedule, and that I really enjoy doing.

It's too early to say, but I think the return on investment for my time/effort spent on these ventures will be positive.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment