Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bad Timing for a 24 Hour Urine PCI Test

I've been testing negative for protein in my urine for months now.

And right when the doctor orders a 24 Hour test to get a baseline UPCI, my protein level increases to 'Trace'. Lack of sleep, dust and odors from a fresh spate of mortaring in the kitchen, and bad restaurant food are the likely contributors.

If the results of the test are bad, i.e., show protein, I might be put right back on the steroids. I can't begin to tell you how upsetting that thought is. :(((((

How to Collect 24 hr Pee

  1. Upon waking, note the time (say 9 am).
  2. Pee, and discard this first pee.
  3. Collect all the rest of the pee for the next 24 hours, including your 9 am wake up first pee. As you collect it, keep it chilled. They recommend a cooler, on ice. I just put mine in the fridge :p



Damage Control
To try improve my dipstick results the two days before the 24 hour collection, I stuck to my normal diet, drank lots, drank fresh vegetable juice, and slept. This morning I woke up at 10.30 am. Pee stick was all-clear. 

Fingers crossed for a good UPCI.

No comments:

Post a Comment