Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Midwives at Magee VS The Midwife Center on the Strip?

The Midwife Center (TMC) was my first choice but was fully booked at when I called back in September. So I went with Midwives at Magee (MM), and so far so good (although I've only really seen the OB at Maternal and Fetal Medicine).

Then two days back I get a call from TMC that there was an opening. When I told them I was considered 'High Risk', I was asked to fax over my medical records so they could evaluate themselves if they would be comfortable taking me on. TMC normally only accepts low-risk pregnancies.

Choices, Choices
Here's what I've read about TMC and MM:

TMC seems more natural, less intervention and more flexible - you're allowed to eat and drink during labor, and you labor and deliver in the birthing room (stirrups not required). A good review on TMC here. However, TMC only accepts low-risk pregnancies. And if complications (e.g. breech) develop, you might be transferred to Mercy Hospital and lose control of your envisioned birth plan.

MM is right down the aisle from Maternal and Fetal Medicine, which is ideal if you have a high-risk pregnancy. This is in fact, their speciality. While this has been reassuring to me and the OB has assured me she will involve me in any decisions relating to 'managing' my pregnancy, I still feel concerned about the level of intervention the OB will assume. Ok, I'm downright uncomfortable. I can't help it. Doctors have bossed me around for half my life and I don't want to be 'managed' during my pregnancy. Yet I know I'll be in good hands if any complications arise.

Oh well. Let's see how this goes. :)

(Update: I was told by TMC that I was too high-risk for them to care for me. And I should come back for my second birth if the first went well.)


No comments:

Post a Comment