Monday, October 8, 2012

First Visit to Doctor and Feeling Blue

The doctor who saw me today was nice, but left me a little depressed.

'Pregnancy is a Problem'
That's how I feel my pregnancy was viewed. With my pre-existing autoimmune condition, and history of kidney problems, I'm a high-risk pregnancy. I will need very careful monitoring (kidney function) and at the slightest sign of kidneys acting up, I might be forced to get back on the steroids that I have worked so hard to wean off.

In My Favor
I have been stable (relapse-free) for over a year, and medication-free for eight months. I am in pretty good physical shape, running a few times a week and eating reasonably healthy too.

My Plea
Dear Doctor, I have been sick for so many years and have been 'managed' for so long by doctors. Doctors who mean well, but at times make me feel small and voiceless. I wish, especially during my pregnancy, to have a say in what happens to my body. I desperately wish to feel empowered, not helpless.

The Plan
I'm to do the 24 hour urine collection to measure my protein levels, then get bloodwork done for creatinine and other things. And an ultrasound is scheduled for Thursday.




No comments:

Post a Comment