Friday, June 28, 2013

Thrush is Terrible, Nasty Nystatin

About two weeks after baby was born and two weeks of an unbelievably awesome breast-feeding journey, thrush reared its ugly head.

Could it have been because of the antibiotics I was put on for Strep B while in labor?

The skin on my nipples burned. Into week four I developed sharp shooting pains deep in my breasts. Meili on the other hand didn't seem too bothered by the white coating on her tongue. She just fussed a little more at the boob which I attributed to gas and her immature digestive system. 

We started treatment at the same time. Miconazole Cream for me and nystatin drops her. The nystatin drops have to be squirted in her mouth every six hours and it was very difficult to comply. You're supposed to swish it around your mouth then spit it out. Try telling baby that. She'd cry inconsolably after each application and end up on my boob thus swallowing that nasty stuff instead of leaving it to coat the inside of her mouth. And I'm not kidding when I say it's nasty. It is bitter. It is also 50% sugar. Which totally does not make sense to me as a supposed treatment for thrush because thrush is a yeast and guess what yeast feeds on? Sugar. Ahuh. 

Poor baby became so gassy she stay awake all night crying and fussing. Neither of us got much sleep!

After six days of this my boob pain worsened and she wasn't any better. She was worse off than before in fact. She was a gas bomber and wailing fart machine. 

Enter gentian violet. 
(To be continued)



No comments:

Post a Comment